The Office Farewell

I was hoping that with a bigger group gathering, the mood will be different and I'll handle the goodbyes better...unfortunately not.  I cried like a little girl and forgot all the talking points I had prepared.  WEAK AH! 

It was very good seeing everyone I wanted to meet one more time, especially those on various floors, especially my Toto kakis (collaborators in the national lottery) who are scattered on all floors, colleagues whom I sit near or work with, and those with whom I did volunteer work.  Colleagues become friends over time, and friends, like I always say, are not separated by time apart or distance.  

Toto Kakis
We believe in hope and while we may not always win, we always try.  No amount is too big or small to give away to charity, when it is too small to be distributed meaningfully amongst the Toto pool.  It was good enough to have fun building anticipation by pooling money, ribbing each other about wearing lucky underwear to buy lottery, then checking for results of the big annual Hong Bao SGD10million draw.  This annual activity has become part of Chinese New Year in the Singapore office, it'll be so odd next year when I won't be around to play.  I hope the pool continues because I'm going to be investing from US!

Neighbors
We sometimes have nothing to do with each other work-wise besides sitting nearby.  But that was enough.  Sharing food, mass ordering food, trading stories - shiok ah.

Volunteer Work
Volunteer work is part of my life and when work got busy, I'm glad to have been able to do it as part of work.  Whether it was building homes in Batam or Hanoi, or cleaning out one-room flats in Singapore, it was pleasure...such as the memory of a colleague Alice successfully persuading a reluctant hoarder to give up her rotting furniture in exchange for hygenic alternatives still brings a smile, cliched as it may sound.

Partners at Work
Of course, there are those who work with me.  Like I said sobbing like a kid, everyone, no matter who they are, were very nice to me.  My office professionals who keep me organized and looking good, leaders and colleagues at work. 

The nicest part of the whole party is that they thought to invite Leon along as well.  I loved that they wanted to acknowledge the important role he plays in my life, and wish us both well in our adventure.  And he got a present for being present ;o)


I hope my colleagues and friends felt the fact that I genuinely like everyone - fantastical as that may sound.  I stick around not just because my job is engaging, but because the men and women of the company are truly some of the best around.

Look out - I'll boomerang back to Asia one day and hope to still have the good fortune of working with many of you :o)

Comments