Not as planned

We are fast learning how the weather plays a role in daily decisions and experiences, and how you really just have to keep checking the forecast and adapt your plans as the climate changes...

Last weekend, we went to Sault Ste Marie in Ontario, Canada, to join a fall color train tour to the Agawa Canyon. I had booked this tour way back in July as a treat to look forward to when we move to the US. I recalled being here late September of 2009 and the colors weren't quite as vibrant. Therefore, I picked to join the 2nd last tour of the season in mid October. Well, turned out the weather became cold pretty early and by the time we were there, there was snow on the ground and the trees were 60% bald.

The last time we walked on snow was more than 15 years ago on Fox Glacier in New Zealand. That was his first big overseas holiday and first flight and my mum was so sweet as to pay for him and to me, gave a stern warning that if we ever fought, I was NOT to bring this up. Of course I never have. We all had a great time, and he even gave up his gloves to my sis who had forgotten her gloves so she could make snowballs. We speak fondly about the trip and my mum's generosity still. How life has changed.

On a daily basis, one of the first things we do when we wake is to check our mobiles for the day's weather forecast. That determines what I wear under my suit, and what jacket and accessories I need. The neck gaiter he knitted for me is pretty versatile and can be pulled up to cover my ears is the wind is strong. Over a two week period, the temperature ranged from -2 degree celsius to a maximum of about 20 degree Celsius. And he is always agonizing about how to dress so he won't be too cold on his almost daily run.

Halloween is coming soon and a colleague shared that one of the biggest questions on a kid's mind this time of the year, other than what to dress up as, is whether their cool costumes need to be hidden under outerwear because the evening's so cold base layers aren't enough. We plan to give out candies so we hope some kids come to our corner of the complex that evening.

The kids' costumes will make great pictures. I'm also hoping some tee peeing, throwing toilet rolls as high as you can up a tree and is illegal, takes place too. That normally happens the night before Halloween. it'll be such a kick to see the mess...as long as it's not ours!

Comments