Recipe: Oyster Stew

Meijer and Walmart do not sell fresh seafood as I know it but they sell shucked oysters in bulk at a counter managed by a friendly staff.  I thought I would cook oyster omelette; he suggested oyster stew.  So last weekend, I took his suggestion.

(Serves 2.  Don't get hung up by measurements.  I estimated everything...)

Ingredients
8 large oysters or as many as you want to eat
Oyster 'stew', ie the greyish water/gung that comes with the oyster
4 tablespoon butter
3 cloves of garlic
2 sticks of celery, diced
1 small head of broccoli, cut into small flowers
1 bunch of cilantro chopped up but keep some for garnishing
3 cups of milk

1. Melt 2 tablespoon of butter in a pan and cook oysters.  Oysters are done when the skirts curl.  Do not overcook the oysters.  Set aside.
2. In another pot, melt the remainder of the butter and fry garlic until fragrant, add in diced celery and broccoli.  These don't need long to cook
3. Add in 3 cups of milk.  You can add in chicken stock and cream to thicken/taste.
4. Actually, if you've a hand blender, I would blitz the soup to make it creamy but because I don't, I left it as it is. 
5. Add oysters into the pot.  Simmer a little. Serve.  I like it with pepper and a dash of cooking wine, which he doesn't like. 


(Excuse the crooked picture. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to
rotate it the right way round.  The original photo is the right way round...)
 

 

Comments

  1. that looks great! did you ever make oyster omelette? i have never tried to do it here... never even though of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what?! I did! It wasn't that great because I did'nt have rice floor and I tried to use corn starch which of course, didn't work out. The oysters also were waaaaayyy tooooo huuuuggggeee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way! How can you ever have too-huge oysters?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment