Same same but different

During my daily news scan/read yesterday, I came upon this blog post.  http://blogs.voanews.com/student-union/2012/11/12/the-wrong-way-to-answer-how-are-you/ What caught my attention is this exchange between two Americans as transcribed by the writer:
-          How are you?
-           Good. You?
-           Pretty good.
-          That’s good.

She/He finds this conversation odd because it’s not meaningful.  However, he also pointed out that far from interpreting this as being insincere and superficial, it’s just a cultural form of greeting.

I went through this same cycle of disorientation then acceptance then realization, although in a very compressed time period, at the very beginning of our arrival.  I'm used to when we pause to ask “How are you?” we often stop for a brief conversation and often do want to know how the person is.  Otherwise, it’s normally just a “hi” and a smile in the hall way IF we felt friendly that day.

But it’s just like how some Chinese, of our parents’ generation primarily, would ask “吃了吗?” (have you eaten?) by way of greeting.   Or in the office among my colleagues, we would ask “how’s your day?” or “going home now?” type of question and not expect an extended conversation.

So yes, it's almost meaningless natter.  But it's a way of connecting, of acknowledging each other, similar across cultures although the words may differ.  And that, to me, is very meaningful  :o)

Comments

  1. it's the same here in canada.. i've become very proficient at it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still getting used to it. I normally stop at "good!" and forget to ask back "And how are you?" haha

      Delete

Post a Comment