Bargain Hunting

I don't proclaim yet to have things figured out but getting through Christmas and after being in the US for almost 4 months, I think I've some realizations about bargain hunting here to share.

1. Factory Outlets - great for everyday pieces; Otherwise, wait for a sale at the retail shops
We buy a lot from the factory outlets.  These are mostly basic pieces to build up our winter wardrobe, which we have almost nothing to start with, and some work wear.  However, they are just that - basic.  I would buy better cut clothing in nicer styles or colors from department stores when they are on sale.  Some of them are always on sale.  A lot of them have free shipping period, or free shipping if you spend above a certain amount, which is typically very reasonable.  Some boutiques, e.g. Coach, actually have items/designs that are specifically made for the outlets.  So dollar for dollar, I find retail stores on sale offer better value.

2. Retailers are ALWAYS ON SALE
Or they seem to be!  I receive emails everyday from Nordstrom, Macy's, Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers and less frequently but still pretty often Polo Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein and so on declaring additional discounts or special sales for whatever reason.

3. Black Friday or Pre-Christmas or Holiday Sales - look out for the "odd lot"
Sure there'll be a lot of things on sale, but often, the sale prices are not that different than normal.  There are however that odd item here or there that are great but just a handful left.  So in the shops, look out for these by the counters or stacked on some shelves in odd places.  For example, we found a remote control helicopter in the Men's department at a huge discount that we grabbed as Christmas gift for a friend.  Toy in the adult section?  Maybe they've placed it right :o)  Leon almost bought one for me because I like remote control thingies...

The other item I picked up in such a situation is the tiny clutch below.  It fits an iPhone, cash, cards and a key.  There were only two of these left, were going for $10 each, and were sitting among other items at the cashier counter of an obscure women's wear shop.  Great for a casual evening out.  (PS: I grabbed both...I've used one and 'm waiting to make the other a gift to someone who might want something exactly like this!)


4. Extreme Couponing - not for the ordinary folks
We have no idea how those folks on TV manage to pay only a dime for a pushcart load of groceries.  We flipped papers, checked in store and went online - couldn't find what these folks found.  So we stuck to using the store's own membership card to get special discounts.  This works for ordinary folks like us.  Sometimes, they send us coupons and these we would use...but they get us 50% off an item or something like that, nothing extreme.

5. Tried and tested works - always compare prices even online
Comparing prices is important online as well.  I bought a jewelry armoire recently and researching online, I found prices varied by as much as $50 including shipping!  Some retailers were way cheaper but charges an arm and a leg for shipping.  Others had free shipping but the item's unit cost was way higher.  So understand the bottomline before clicking "Buy".

I enjoy not paying full price on things I buy.  I don't begrudge retailers their profits but if they are selling what I want at discounted prices, I would wait for a sale before parting with my money.

Comments