Layering Clothes for Warmth

Back home, it was about how to wear as little as possible within decency limits.  Just like making a bed for warmth, dressing for warmth, and with style, is something we have had to learn.  For well-travelled Singaporeans, this is nothing new.  But in the spirit of capturing our learnings and adventures, here's a quick post about clothes.

Here's a very helpful graphic from whatpeoplearewearing.com.
1. Base Layer
Close to the skin.  Wool, unfortunately, is a pain.  Fleece can spark you when there's friction.  We go for Heat Tech by Uniqlo (not available in the US), Under Armor, or Columbia.  I like cotton.  The point here is a comfortable first layer next to the skin.  It should be as thin as possible so that you still feel comfortable under other layers.  I've found that I do not need long sleeves to feel warm.  I prefer tanks because they keep my core warm and do not restrict movements.

2. Middle Layer/Middlewear
This can be sweaters and jeans or anything else you want to be seen in.  If you're wearing something thin, like a foolishly pretty summer top, count it as half a layer and wear something else over it.  I normally would wear my foolish top then add another layer of sweater.

3. Outwear or another layer before outerwear
Once the temperature drops below -5 degrees Celsius, I'm usually three layers on top before my outwear and two layers for bottoms.  I vary my 3rd and 4th layer according to temperatures.

4. Accessories
The ear muffs and my UGG boots are my best pals.  If you get an outwear with hood and I find you don't normally need a hairstyle-messing beanie.  Gloves are important unless you want your hands tucked into your pockets all the time.  But if you go shopping and need to carry shopping bags, you can't do that so just carry a pair of gloves around.  I love mittens but find that a lot of the designs do not keep the wind out.  So if I wear mittens, I wear a thin base layer pair of gloves too.

Scarves are beyond functional.  They add pops of color to an outfit (I sometimes wear two scarves of different colors....but also because I have a lot of foolish summer scarves that aren't warm).

Boots - UGGs or similar type of boots are so comfortable and warm when it hasn't started snowing yet.  However, waterproof boots are needed when it snows.  Ice melts = freezing water = freezing toes = not so good.  Note that there's a difference between waterproof and water resistant.  One repels water completely; one doesn't get wet as quickly...

It snowed harder in Ann Arbor these two days than Midland.

Comments