My Turntable - Part 2/2

fun. Sarah McLachlan. Amy Winehouse. Nat King Cole. Frank Sinatra. Apalachian Springs. Gershwin. These music and musicians have been filling our house this week, accompanying many a dinners and quiet reading times.  Last Saturday, we had driven to Royal Oaks again, about two hours south of us, to collect my replacement Rega RP3.  

The folks at the showroom had set the right tracking force for me and also did a cursory inspection to ensure that the device was not damaged.  However, when I flipped it over, I saw that the motor casing was still not well aligned and there were also some cracks near the screw fastening the casing to the base of the turntable.  I wasn't as worked up this time, because I had done more reading online and realize that many RP3s are shipped that way.  And the sound quality is not affected.  For the same sonic quality and price, it was still a steal.

So we took it home, and the turntable took up its permanent spot in our house.


The speaker stands, free from the shop, are too short and are waiting to be replaced.
For a while, i had doubts as to whether I should get the system.  Was it something in the cosmic that is telling me not to spend this money?  Was it something in the stars this year that my big purchases are not meant to be easy buys?  Or maybe, it's just another life event teaching me to be a better person.  For you see, I wasn't proud of how I behaved when my turntable, the first one, was less than perfect.


I seethed over email, expressed my disappointment strongly, and even demanded that the retailers deliver the replacement to me because I was done driving two hours for a lemon.  In a different age and time, I would have thought this was acceptable because I paid good money and deserved to get what I paid for.  Maybe this reasoning is still reasonable.  But I feel I could have been more 方, gracious about the whole episode, get what I want and leave both parties feeling good.

So now, every time I see my vinyls, listen to my music, or get upset, I am reminded always in a conflict to find a way to get what I want yet create a pleasant experience for everyone....let me practice on Leon - he won't know what hit him. :o)

Comments