April Showers May Flowers

Back in April, the phrase "April Showers May Flowers" was a chant often heard on the radio on my short drives to and from work.  It reminded me that Spring was here and made me happy at the thought, looking forward to warm weather finally. 

However, April showers, or thunderstorms to be exact, also meant heavy and extended rainfalls.  While I enjoyed the rains because it reminded me of home, it was a bit tragic listening to stories of colleagues' and friends' flooded basements.  Basements here are not all about storage space.  Many, like ours, are turned into family rooms or gathering areas, equipped with expensive entertainment equipment.  They are also typically carpetted.  Can you imagine the damage and inconvenience all the flooding caused?  Sure, there are sump pumps (we learned about their existence when we heard stories about floodings), but they fail and sometimes, water comes up through cracks in the floor.

Some of them told us that this year's weather has been kinda weird.  We didn't get snow until after Christmas and winter didn't really arrive until February/March.  Then before Spring could make its presence felt, we went straight into hot summer temperatures for a couple of weeks.  It's now June and we're experiencing Fall-like weather in the late teens and early 20s degree Celcius.

Yet others have also commented that last year's weather was weird too, with reasons of their own.  My conclusion - Midland really doesn't have predictable weather.  The skies could be grey and heavily pregnant with rain, but we'd still be able to cycle an hour and the half on the rail trail without a drop falling on us.  While another evening, the sky started out ok, and we were completely drenched half way into the ride.

Whatever the case, I'm done with boots and coats.  I used to think it's so cool to wear outwear accessorized with matching scarves, gloves and hats.  They are such a BOTHER!  Moving in and out of warmed buildings and cars plus having to carry computers, files and lunch bags, and sometimes gym gear, is totally not fun.

Right now, if the temperature drops, I'll just grit my teeth and power walk to and from my car.  I'm bringing out my Singapore Summer wear, and skipping stockings/hose.  It's a kind of liberation that I didn't know until I got to know the wonders the right clothes can do to keep you warm.

I love the seasonal changes.  The longer days are awesome.  We've ordered an outdoor dining set and a swing, and will be picking up our outdoor grill this weekend.  I'm looking forward to spending more time outside in the fresh air, in my shorts, tank top, and slippers!
Swing from www.meijer.com - this will go under the trees!

Comments