Recipe: Portobello Mushrooms With Bacon

Recipes are such a good topic for when I feel like writing but don't have anything I feel like writing about.  Today's recipe reminds me very much of home and my kid sisters, who are no longer small but as Lisa often reminds me, will always be 6 years younger.

My new partner at work - awesome chap he is - commented yesterday that if I were to travel to Singapore on a business trip, I probably won't stop to meet my family because I'll be in a hurry to get things done and then go off.  While he's right about my general impatience, he's so wrong about me not stopping to see my kid sisters at least.  

When we were way younger, I would reluctantly cook for them and then feel resentful that they were playing while I cooked.  So I made them stand next to me and watch me cook.  Haha.  Then when I got older and less angsty, I was ok for them to go play while I cook but by then, they were old enough to want to learn how to cook whatever it was I was making for them.  I was such a tyrant...but I claim credit for them being polite adults who mind their Pleases and Thank Yous :o)

One of the dishes I used to make for them is this portobello mushroom grilled thingy.  It was an easy snack for between meals.

Ingredients
Large portobello mushrooms
2 strips of back bacon per mushroom
1/4 of an onion per mushroom
A dash of cooking wine
Shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Dice onions. Heat oven to 400F.
2. Julienne bacon, i.e. cut into thin strips.
3. In a pan with a bit of oil, stir-fry onions for a bit until fragrant.
4. Add in bacon and fry until cook, adding a dash of cooking wine in the process.
5. Remove stems from mushroom caps.
6. Lay mushrooms gill side up.  Put some mozzarella cheese on them.
7. Scoop cooked bacon and onions over the cheese, being careful not to add liquid from your bacon onto the mushrooms.  A little doesn't matter.  You just don't want too much fluid on the mushrooms because they will expel their own liquid.
8. Cover bacon etc with more cheese.
9. Bake in 400F oven for 15 minutes, and ready to serve.


Comments

Post a Comment