Home Trip 2014

With the various vacations we took this year and thanks to Leon's rookie status in the company, we could take only an 8-day home trip back to Singapore this year. Whereas two weeks last year felt a bit long, 8 days was barely enough. 

We went home with three confirmed agenda items - (i) meals with both sides of the family; (ii) my sisters-only meal; and (iii) attend a wedding. Then, whoever reached out to suggest meeting us, we filled our calendars on a first-come-first-in basis. Unfortunately, we couldn't find time for everyone who did.  That went quick - you can imagine how loved we feel. 

Then, miscellaneous errands, a check-in with our financial planner, medical appointments and a hair-cut were added together with dates with each other.  I know it sounds strange - why do we need dates with each other when we spend so much time together in Midland?  Sentimentality perhaps.  It's just such a warm feeling to walk hand-in-hand down Orchard Road.

It was a great trip.  Some things surprised, some things felt the same, some things feel like they never change:
  • For all the flack that Singaporeans get online and the nastiness I read about ugly Singaporeans, I DIDN'T meet any of these legendary horrors.  People said "excuse me" when they bumped into me; my beams (I couldn't just smile when I'm in Singapore!) were returned with smiles; and people were generally very helpful.
  • The crowds the crowds the crowds.  Other than the familiar hot, humid, sticky weather, it was PEOPLE people PEOPLE people.  OMG.  Then I was reminded it was the school holidays.  Phew!  And I was so afraid Midland had turned me into a hermit.
  • The queues for taxis...no matter how many taxis we add, they don't ever seem enough. 
One thing that stood out though - coming back home to an environment populated by delicate Asians, I felt like a cross between MuLan the Woman Warrior and a Maori King.  Sure, Big Americans is another stereotype, but in a sea of 'sameness', size becomes a differentiator. 

Yeah.  I miss Singapore.  We miss Singapore.  And mostly, we miss family & friends. But again, on the 8th day, as we packed our luggage to return to our Midland home, there was still that small sense of relief.  While we didn't get enough of Family and Friends, we certainly had too much FOOD.

The neighbourhood where I spent my teenage and young adult years.
 

Comments