Saying Goodbye

As soon as was reasonable at about 5:45 AM, my phone rang and woke me from an uneasy slumber that I finally managed to fall into at about half past four in the morning.  I was in Beijing and jetlagged.

It was my husband, Leon. In the gentlest of voices, he asked if I’ve heard – that Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew had passed away early that Monday morning.  Tears started flowing even before I was able to transition to an awakened state.  But I had a flight to catch, and hung up after a brief conversation.  Then I saw a text message from my boss offering his condolences.  More tears.

This emotional state of mind was to be repeated throughout the next few days, thoug kept in check and neatly compartmentalized amidst the long and busy workdays.

Fortuitously, the last leg of this work trip was to be Singapore on the Wednesday, first day that MM Lee’s body was to lie in state for the public to pay our respect.  Leon and I speak occasionally about whether I should return to Singapore in the event of MM’s passing.  This coincidence made that discussion redundant.

I did not care if I had to queue for hours – I packed water, muesli bars, and my Kindle.  Early on Thursday morning, I joined the queue just after 7AM, and was very lucky that in about 45 minutes, I stepped into Parliament House. 

I had held myself together in the queue, but all self-control dissipated the moment his portrait and casket came into sight.  Dissolving into a pile of tears, I bowed respectfully and then was quickly ushered out, sniffling as I shuffled along with my fellow solemn Singaporeans.

As is expected, the viewing of the deceased, or casket in this case, was pivotal in bringing about a sense of peace, calm, and closure. 

MM’s importance to Singaporeans is easy to understand.  He is such an important part of Singapore’s history and a very human leader from whom we all learned lessons.  He has also been a constant “teacher” on regional affairs.  Frequently when I am trying to find context or insights on regional matters, I look to his books. 

Outside of his books, I’ve had the privilege of meeting him on several occasions.  At a dialogue session with MM that I attended several years ago together with about 30+ other people whom I think were about 30 years or below, he was asked what he thought of young people today.   His response in not the exact words was that we are ignorant.  We do not know enough about history.  Without knowledge of what happened in the past, how are we to understand the present and find our bearings to foretell the future? 

That comment probably reveals a lot about why world leaders find his insights into Asia so valuable – He provides the power of context for actions, decisions and relationships.

Of course not everyone feels the same way about MM’s legacy.  In the outpouring of collective grief over the past week, we celebrate his accomplishments and reminisce about his leadership role in the progress of the nation.  It is an obvious fact that he did not do it all alone – he had a great team that he acknowledges time and again.  It is an obvious fact that not everything was perfect – how many opportunities do we get to build a nation and to get it right the first time?  It is also an obvious fact that we are able to have disagreements, in the same official language, at a level of sophistication that is beyond mere opinions.

MM’s legacy for Singaporeans like me is lived on a daily basis.  I may be from a small island state but my foundation, worldview, and mindset has enabled me to stand tall and walk among peers on a global team. 

For that, I am grateful and appreciative.  Thank you, MM.

Boat Quay - peaceful in the early morning.
 

Comments