Recipe: Stabilized Fresh Cream

I've always wanted to bake my own cake but decorating cakes feels intimidating, especially after my own Pinterest fail - see exhibit 1 below.

Exhibit 1: Left = mine; Right = what it should look like.
But never mind - I prefer cakes frosted with fresh cream anyway.  So I wanted to learn how to make whipped fresh cream that stays in shape like those from bakeries. Then I came upon this website with a seductively easy recipe for stabilized whipped cream: http://www.food-pusher.com/2011/06/stabilized-whipped-cream-frosting.html.
So I tried it - what do you think?  :-)  :-)  :-)
It stayed this perky in the fridge for 3 days!!
Full credit to Food Pusher.  Instructions are my execution of her recipe.
Ingredients
1/2 teaspoon of unflavoured gelatin powder
2 tablespoon cold water
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoon confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar)
1. Put cold water into a little bowl - sprinkle unflavoured gelatin over the cold water.  Set aside.
2. Take 2 tablespoons of the cream and heat it in a pan, bringing it to a simmer.
3. Pour hot cream over gelatin mix, stirring until smooth. 
4. Refrigerate until the consistency of greek yogurt.  Beat with a whisk until smooth.
5. Separately, use a mixer to whip sugar and cream until soft peaks form.
6. Add in the gelatin mixture, stopping a couple of times to scrape the side of the mixing bowl to pile cream on the side walls into the center again.
7. Whip until stiff peaks start to form - don't over beat.
8. You're now ready to frost your cake!!  I've got a white cake recipe I used for this cake above but it's very dense...will try again soon!








 

Comments